- Clerk, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court, Maryland
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
- B.A., with honors, Bucknell University
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
- District of Columbia
- Numerous Federal Counsels
Theodore R. Groom has practiced law since 1960, and co-founded Groom and Nordberg in 1975. The firm was renamed Groom Law Group in 1998, and he was managing partner or firm chairman for the firm's first twenty years. Mr. Groom has either founded or has been actively engaged in each of the firm's practice areas and continues an active tax practice involving corporate, insurance and financial product tax issues. Mr. Groom is one of the few currently active practitioners who was an active participant in developing ERISA, and was awarded a signature pen by President Ford for his efforts. Among past representations Mr. Groom has acted as special counsel to the named fiduciary of the Central States Teamster Pension Plan, responsible for the rehabilitation and reform of the Plan; representation of insurance industry groups in developing regulatory rules and exemptions for fiduciary responsibility; development of the regulatory framework for multiemployer plans in connection with legislation enacted in 1980; served as co-counsel for the mutual life insurance industry; and acted as special counsel for major insurance companies in their conversion to stock form. A significant part of Mr. Groom's current practice is assisting major plan sponsors achieve more efficient management and greater participant benefits through the formation of captive insurance companies.
Mr. Groom has written, spoken and testified on tax and employee benefit issues numerous times, and together with Stanford Professor John Shoven, published Deregulating the Private Pension System, The Evolving Pension System (Brookings 2005).
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law, Government Relations Law and Tax Law (1991-2013)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Tax Law (2007-2013)
- Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law - Washington, D.C. (2011)
- Listed, Human Resource Executive Magazine, 100 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in America (2009-2011)
- Listed, Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, Top Attorneys in Business Services (July/Aug 2009)
- Washingtonian's Best Lawyers in D.C.
- American Council of Employee Benefits, Charter Fellow
- Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research Insurance Program, Co-Founder and Chair
- National Academy on Social Insurance