- J.D., William and Mary - Marshall Wythe School of Law
- M.S., University of Virginia
- B.S., George Mason University
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Daniel L. Hogans is a principal at Groom Law Group, Chartered, where he advises clients on a wide range of employee benefits and executive compensation matters. Mr. Hogans has comprehensive experience advising clients on the IRC section 409A rules and other executive compensation requirements including IRC sections 83, 162(m) and 280G. He also works extensively with Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs).
Prior to joining Groom, Mr. Hogans was a partner at an international law firm. From 2003 to 2007, he was an Attorney Adviser in the Office of Benefits Tax Counsel at the US Department of the Treasury. In that role, he served as an adviser to senior officials and congressional staff on employee benefits and executive compensation matters. He also served as the leading Treasury Department representative on the development of regulations under IRC section 409A, and was involved in the development of regulations and other guidance affecting ESOPs generally, and S Corporation ESOPs in particular.
Mr. Hogans' practice focuses on implementation and operation of equity and incentive compensation plans, employment arrangements, implementation, operation and maintenance of ESOPs, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, ERISA-related issues, qualified retirement plans, and pension and profit-sharing plans.
Mr. Hogans is a frequent speaker on employee benefits matters at national conferences and is frequently quoted in national publications.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2010-2016)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America (2012-2017)
- Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law - Washington, D.C. (2017)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits (2014-2016)
- Member, Practical Law Company Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Advisory Board