- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Connecticut Law School
- M.S., University of Maryland
- B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Douglas W. Ell enjoys solving difficult problems relating to employee benefits. His creative redesign of one benefit program saved a client over $20 million each year and was recently approved by the IRS. He drafted the first 401(k) plan in professional sports. Mr. Ell has represented a number of nationally recognized corporations, unions and multiemployer plans. He has litigated nationally with great success and persuaded Congress to make important changes in employee benefits laws. He has served as the chair of the Employee Benefits section of the D.C. Bar and has authored numerous publications on employee benefits. In each instance, Mr. Ell enjoys the challenge of taking a difficult problem and attacking it from a new perspective.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law (1995-2015)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits (2008-2014)
- Washingtonian's Best Lawyers in D.C.