- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Connecticut Law School
- M.S., University of Maryland
- B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Douglas W. Ell joined Groom Law Group, Chartered in 1982, and has been a Principal since 1986. In recent years his practice has focused on representing prominent multiemployer retirement and health plans on a variety of issues, including plan design, legislation, fiduciary liability, disability claims processing, DOL and IRS audits and compliance, and litigation.
Mr. Ell enjoys solving difficult problems relating to employee benefits. He drafted the first 401(k) plan in professional sports. He has litigated nationally with great success and persuaded Congress to make important changes in employee benefits laws.
Mr. Ell has degrees in theoretical mathematics and plays classical piano. He returned to his alma matter, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, to lecture on the intersection of science and religion.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law (1995-2017)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits (2008-2017)
- Washingtonian's Best Lawyers in D.C.