- J.D., with distinction, George Mason University Law School, Graduated 1st, Evening Division
- M.P.A., Indiana University, Phi Alpha Alpha, Lilly Community Fellow
- B.A., with honors, University of Cincinnati
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Jon W. Breyfogle joined Groom Law Group in 1992 and currently is the leader of Groom’s Health and Welfare Practice Group. Mr. Breyfogle served as the firm’s Executive Principal for 6 years from 2006-2011.
Mr. Breyfogle’s practice ranges from providing advice to clients on regulatory and legislative strategy, to developing compliance strategies and defending government enforcement actions. He regularly works with financial institutions, health insurers, large employers and key industry trade associations. Mr. Breyfogle specializes in ERISA’s fiduciary rules, the Affordable Care Act and other federal laws regulating health plans, as well as state insurance law.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Breyfogle enjoyed a diverse career in government, serving in political and civil service positions at the Department of Labor, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, and Office of Management and Budget.
Honors & Distinctions
- Leading Lawyer, The Legal 500 US, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (2011-2013)
- Listed, The Legal 500 US, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (2007, 2009-2013)
- Listed, The Legal 500 US, Healthcare (2013)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law (2006-2014)
- Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Employee Benefits (2005-2007)
- George Mason Law Review
- Presidential Management Intern, U.S. Government (1985)
- Governor's Fellow, State of Illinois (1983)
- Senior Legislative Officer, Department of Labor’s Office of Congressional Affairs, 1989-1992
- Special Assistant to the Executive Director, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, 1987-1989
- Policy Analyst, Office of Management and Budget, 1985-1987
- Board of Directors, American Benefits Counsel