Ian Lanoff represents public employee pension and welfare benefit plans, corporate plans, multiemployer plans, institutions that provide investment advice and services to employee benefit plans, and labor unions and corporations that sponsor plans.
Ian is fiduciary counsel to several major public employee pension funds including the New York State Employees Retirement System (“Common Fund”), Florida State Board of Administration, Ohio Public Employees Retirement System, New Hampshire Retirement System, and the State of New Mexico Educational Retirement Board.
Ian’s other representative clients include the UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust (the largest retiree healthcare fund at $80 billion as well as three additional retiree health VEBA trusts negotiated by the United Auto Workers). He has also represented the City of Philadelphia Municipal Pension System, Texas Teacher Retirement System, and the California State Teachers’ Retirement System.
In his public sector law practice, he has represented Boards of Trustees involved in key issues for public employee pension funds. In his private sector ERISA practice, he has represented trustees and other fiduciaries in matters pending before the ERISA Program at the Department of Labor, the program he led during the Carter and early Reagan years.
Ian heads up Groom’s Public Plan Practice Group—one of the leading practices of this type in the country—covering governance, fiduciary, investment, and tax matters affecting public plans, their members, and retirement boards.
- Administrator of Pension and Welfare Benefit Programs, U. S. Department of Labor
- Employee Benefits Counsel, U. S. Senate Committee on Labor and Public Welfare
- General Counsel, United Mine Workers of America Health and Retirement Funds
- Attorney, Appellate Branch, National Labor Relations Board
- Charter Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Board Member, Pension Rights Center
- Board Member, Advisory Board, Center for Retirement Research, Boston College
- Listed, The Legal 500 US, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (2013-2014)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law (1989-2017)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits and Employment & Labor (2009-2018)
- Washingtonian‘s Best Lawyers in D.C.