Stephen Saxon works on a wide variety of administrative, litigative, and legislative matters involving tax-exempt organizations and ERISA. He specializes in matters relating to Title I of ERISA, with respect to which he has obtained scores of advisory opinions and exemptions. Stephen also represents tax-exempt clients in IRS audits and appeals procedures, as well as in restructuring non-profit organizations to address unrelated business income tax and other issues. In addition, he has worked on numerous Department of Labor audits of plans and financial institutions that service plans.
Stephen heads up the firm’s special practice groups on pension plan investments and on 401(k) plan administrative and investment management matters. Among other things, these groups focus on the ERISA, securities, banking, and tax issues that arise in connection with the offering of products to employee benefit plans.
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law (1999-2017)
- Listed, The Legal 500 US, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (2007-2008, 2010, 2012-2014)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits (2007, 2013-2017)
- Listed, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2008-2011, 2016-2017)
- Listed, Washingtonian, Top 20 Influential Persons in the Retirement Services Industry