Groom Law Group solves complicated legal issues for a variety of clients in finance, retirement, health care, and the public sector. Our exceptional level of service has earned us acclaim among clients, consistent top-tier rankings, and our industry’s highest awards. With 40 years of experience practicing in Washington, D.C., Groom is widely recognized among the nation’s leading benefits, health, and retirement law firms.
Groom’s practice groups cover the design and operation of pension and health plans, fiduciary and tax issues, health care, benefits litigation, government investigations, plan funding and restructuring, public and multiemployer plans, benefits-related policy and legislation, and executive compensation.
Since 1975, we’ve built our success by developing wide-ranging and exhaustive command of the issues that dominate benefits, health, and retirement. Nobody knows this area of the law like we do.
- Unparalleled experts in benefits, retirement, and health care.
- Dedicated collaborators working in one location to generate maximum value for clients.
- Leading advocates for clients with a stake in federal legislation or regulatory guidance.
- Experienced litigators drawing on expertise in benefits, retirement, and health care.
- Authorities on government investigations.
- Former staff from all of the federal agencies that regulate benefit plans as well as three of the four Congressional committees with jurisdiction over benefits issues.
- Registered lobbyists for a number of trade association and individual company clients.
Groom attorneys previously served as:
- Administrator of Pension and Welfare Benefits at the Department of Labor
- Benefits Tax Counsel at the Treasury Department
- General Counsel of the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
- Senior Legislative Officer at the Department of Labor
- Chief Pension Litigator at the Department of Labor
- ERISA Counsel to the Senate Committee on Labor and Human Resources
- Tax Counsel on the majority staff of the House Committee on Ways and Means
- Director of Compliance and Enforcement at the Department of Health and Human Services