The best evidence that Groom’s a special place to practice law? The number of people who spend a majority of their careers here. That’s telling. For them – and perhaps for you – there’s no better firm anywhere. Why? Keep reading.
Our greatest asset really is our people. Groom is specifically structured and managed to provide the best possible professional environment, and to enable attorneys to practice law at the highest possible level. We created the firm we wanted to work at.
For clients, we strive to provide guidance and representation that combines legal expertise and strategic innovation. Not only do we know the law, but we know our clients’ businesses, markets, competition, and objectives. We also place a great deal of importance on absolute professional excellence. Clients come to us with the most high-stakes, complex, and significant legal issues imaginable, and we deliver legal work of the utmost quality – consistently and professionally. We are known for it. Clients describe us as not just great attorneys, but great people.
As an organization, we prioritize inclusion, diversity, teamwork, and collegiality. Work-life balance is important to us. People at all levels have their voices heard, and they’re given as much responsibility as they can handle. We also provide extensive support for practice growth and development. Our leadership is accessible, and questions and ideas are always welcome.
If you join us, you’ll have a chance to both make a real impact, and to chart your own course.
Groom attorneys are much more than simply “benefits attorneys”. We are some of the best in the country. Our practices encompass every aspect of benefits, health, and retirement, including litigation and policy, and serve clients – many of them high-profile industry leaders – across a wide range of industries. A number of our attorneys also have experience working in the federal agencies that regulate benefits, including the IRS, DOL, the Hill, and other administrative bodies.
In a practice as complex, high-stakes, and fast-moving as benefits law, it’s critical to keep developing professionally. Groom supports this in a variety of ways, beginning with assignments and mentorships that foster growth. We also support a wide variety of education and training for everyone, at all levels. Finally, because all work and no play … well, you know – we sponsor a lot of social events, from the spontaneous and fun to the formal and elegant.
- Learning: We believe that excellence comes from teamwork and collaboration. We learn from one another. Each attorney is assigned to a subject matter expert (“SME”) group for substantive skill development.
- Mentoring: The Principal Program and Peer-to-Peer Program pair new associates with mentors that serve as a resource for navigating challenges and utilizing the resources available at Groom, such as coaching and training.
- Coaching: At Groom, coaching is part of the practice of law. We believe in continual learning and support every attorney in getting the guidance that makes them better.
- Feedback: We believe that the standard-issue, once-a-year review process isn’t especially productive. At Groom, associates meet individually with their supervising attorneys every quarter to discuss their progress.
- Training: Groom offers many in-house programs that provide critical practice-specific learning, as well as guidance on firm operations and professional skills. We cover topics like: client service, business development, giving and receiving feedback, public speaking, Groom’s promotion and advancement process, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and personal well-being. The firm also provides attorneys with access to a variety of approved CLE programs. Attorneys are encouraged to continue their education through external programs, teaching or additional post-graduate coursework.
- Dedicated Professional Development Committee and Staff: The Professional Development Committee (“PDC”) is the engine of the firm’s commitment to professional development. It’s comprised of attorneys at all levels and the Director of Professional Development & Diversity. Training and development responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing and implementing professional training programs
- Communicating with associate and of counsel attorneys about professional development steps, and developing specific goals
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining initiatives that assist associate and of counsel attorneys in developing a broad range of legal skills, abilities, and knowledge
- Assisting with the onboarding of first-year and lateral associates
- Monitoring the development and progress of associate and of counsel attorneys
- Coordinating training and development initiatives with the firm’s practice groups
- Developing initiatives that reward attorneys who participate in attorney training and development
Pathway to Partnership
Law is, we believe, a service business and an intensely personal profession, and we do all we can to help attorneys enhance and grow this aspect of their practices. From very early on, associates work directly with principals and clients to develop the necessary skills sooner rather than later. This is supported and encouraged by the firm.
Groom recognizes that attorneys bring a wide range of life experiences to their work, and benefit from association with others with similar backgrounds. Accordingly, we have developed and actively support affinity groups. These allow attorneys to meet, connect, and share experiences, perspectives, insights, and opportunities about what resources are available in and beyond the firm. Our affinity groups include:
- The Collective. The Collective brings together attorneys from racially diverse groups.
- The Collective+. The Collective+ connects attorneys from all underrepresented groups, including racially diverse and LGBTQIA+ attorneys.
- Women’s Initiative. A dedicated group for Groom’s women attorneys.
Teleworking and Alternative Work Schedules
We know you want flexibility. Our approach to hybrid work fosters teamwork and collaboration, while providing the flexibility necessary to effectively balance your work and personal life.
Above Average Benefits
We are a benefits, health, and retirement firm, after all, so it should come as no surprise that Groom offers its employees one of the best, most comprehensive and innovative benefits packages imaginable. It includes practical benefits for health and wellness, financial and retirement planning, and of course, work-life balance programs. Even still, we are always on the lookout for ways to enhance and improve the benefits that we offer.
Groom Law Group Top Ranked by Chambers USA in 2022
Groom Ranks High in The Legal 500 United States 2022
Groom listed in three categories – nationally and in Washington, DC – for 2023.
21 Groom Attorneys Named Among The Best Lawyers in America 2023
Groom Again Included in Vault’s Top 150 Under 150