One of the few currently active practitioners who participated in developing ERISA, Theodore Groom has practiced law since 1960, co-founding Groom and Nordberg in 1975.
The firm was renamed Groom Law Group in 1998, and Ted served as managing partner and firm Chairman for the firm’s first 20 years. Ted has either founded or has been actively engaged in each of the firm’s practice areas and continues an active tax practice involving corporate, insurance, and financial product tax issues.
Among past representations, Ted has acted as special counsel to the named fiduciary of the Central States Teamster Pension Plan; represented the insurance industry groups developing regulatory rules and exemptions for fiduciary responsibility; helped develop the regulatory framework for multiemployer plans in connection with legislation enacted in 1980; served as co-counsel for the mutual life insurance industry; and acted as special counsel for major insurance companies in their conversion to stock form.
A significant part of Ted’s current practice involves helping major plan sponsors achieve more efficient management and greater participant benefits through the formation of captive insurance companies.
Ted has written, spoken, and testified on tax and employee benefits issues numerous times, and together with Stanford Professor John Shoven, published Deregulating the Private Pension System, The Evolving Pension System (Brookings 2005).
- Charter Fellow, American Council of Employee Benefits
- Co-Founder and Chair, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research Insurance Program
- National Academy on Social Insurance
- Clerk, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court, Maryland
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law, Government Relations Law and Tax Law (1991-2017)
- Listed, Super Lawyers, Tax and Employee Benefits (2007-2015, 2018)
- Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits Law – Washington, D.C. (2011)
- Listed, Human Resource Executive Magazine, 100 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in America (2009-2013)
- Listed, Human Resource Executive Magazine, The Nation’s Most Powerful Employment Attorneys – Hall of Fame
- Listed, Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, Top Attorneys in Business Services (July/Aug 2009)
- Washingtonian’s Best Lawyers in D.C.