Jenifer Cromwell and Christy Tinnes will participate in a Business and Legal Resources (BLR) sponsored webcast, “HIPAA Compliance: What You Need to Know Now about New Privacy and Data Security Breach Obligations” on November 19, 2009.
On September 23, a new rule went into effect requiring health plans, healthcare providers, and other entities covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to notify individuals of a breach of their unsecured protected health information (PHI).
The new breach notification requirements, which are part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, apply to HIPAA-covered entities and their business associates. It’s crucial for you to know whether HIPAA applies to your organization, when PHI may be compromised, and how you should respond to a data security breach under the new rule – especially because there are increased civil penalties for HIPAA noncompliance.
The in-depth, 90-minute BLR Expert Insight webinar will cover the latest on the HIPAA security breach rules. Jenifer and Christy will explain what needs to be done to comply with the breach notification requirements and how to update your HIPAA privacy and security policies. Topics covered include:
- What constitutes a data security breach under the new HIPAA security breach rule
- How and when to notify affected individuals of a security breach concerning their unsecured PHI
- When the Department of Health and Human Services and prominent media outlets also must be notified of a breach
- How to revise your business associate agreements in light of the recent changes
- Best practices for training your workforce on privacy and security procedures so they can identify and respond to security breaches
- Practical steps to take now to revise your HIPAA privacy and security policies so you’re properly managing PHI
- The increased penalties you could face if you don’t comply